The Soapbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Soapbox

A place to keep in touch, organize fantasy, debate sports, and discuss all things awesome.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Auction Keeper League

Go down 
+2
Garner
KyleJones
6 posters
AuthorMessage
KyleJones

KyleJones

Auction Keeper League Empty
PostSubject: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 5:04 pm

http://fantasyfunk.wordpress.com/2009/07/20/auction-vs-snake-draft/
http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/articles/auction_vs_draft.cfm

http://www.faketeams.com/2009/3/6/780434/interview-with-espn-fantas
[Q: Finally, one last question. Do you prefer auction drafts or snake drafts?
Matthew Berry: Auction drafts, and it isn't close.]

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/16770
John (Phx): Auction draft or snake draft for 14 team football?
Matthew Berry - The Talented Mr. Roto (3:46 PM): always auction

Let's do it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/kylejonesy
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Auction Keeper.

It's time to man up, Gentlemen. We need ten people to play until they die. Thats the type of commitment we need here.

Who's in?
Back to top Go down
https://thesoapbox.forumotion.com
IB29

IB29

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyMon May 09, 2011 5:14 pm

I'm in...rather do Snake Keeper than Auction Keeper but I'm game either way....
Back to top Go down
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyMon May 09, 2011 9:16 pm

IB29 wrote:

We were having this conversation with Justin.

What is the argument for Snake over Auction?
Back to top Go down
gingerraider

gingerraider

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyMon May 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Garner wrote:
IB29 wrote:

We were having this conversation with Justin.

What is the argument for Snake over Auction?

Preference. I like snake more than Auction, period.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.twitter.com/justinschultze
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyTue May 10, 2011 1:18 pm

And what I am asking, because
I would like to understand, why do you prefer snake?
Back to top Go down
gingerraider

gingerraider

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyTue May 10, 2011 2:46 pm

Because I like Snake. I like knowing if I'm going to have the first pick or the last pick, I like game planning around that. I have more control and a better chance of drafting a good team because I understand more clearly how to draft in a Snake league than I do in an auction league.

I want whats best for all 10 members of the league not just what Brian and Kyle and bill Simmons like.

if all 6-7 original members want auction, I'm game! I dont want to ruin a good thing with friends I don't get to see anymore. Change causes people to fall off the wagon, and I dont want that.

I like the snake-keeper idea alot though.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.twitter.com/justinschultze
IB29

IB29

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyTue May 10, 2011 3:21 pm

gingerraider wrote:
Because I like Snake. I like knowing if I'm going to have the first pick or the last pick, I like game planning around that. I have more control and a better chance of drafting a good team because I understand more clearly how to draft in a Snake league than I do in an auction league.

I want whats best for all 10 members of the league not just what Brian and Kyle and bill Simmons like.

if all 6-7 original members want auction, I'm game! I dont want to ruin a good thing with friends I don't get to see anymore. Change causes people to fall off the wagon, and I dont want that.

I feel the same way....
Back to top Go down
KGeddes

KGeddes

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyTue May 10, 2011 9:02 pm

IB29 wrote:
gingerraider wrote:

I feel the same way....

I agree, I would rather have a snake keeper league
Back to top Go down
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:00 pm

gingerraider wrote:

A few things here:

1. We might as well drop the Keeper idea until we have 10 guys, that we know will play each season until they die. Its the only way out. Off the top of my head I feel like we are a couple guys short. As it is, we have not yet had the same 10 guys two seasons in a row.

2. Simply put, snake is a busted system. That is a fact that has nothing to do with Simmons either, Schultze.

Aside from the fact that a snake draft is a less involved system (make a pick, sit around for ten picks, make a pick, repeat)- It requires far less strategy, is less competitive, and rewards luck above all else.

If you draw the 10th pick in snake, it is impossible to get a top 5 player (that is being conservative for the sake of conversation, you probably aren't getting a top Cool. On the other hand, auction allows you to build your team as you wish. You want the consensus first overall pick? Great, go pay for him and he is yours. It is for this reason snake gives the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pick a gross advantage over the 8th, 9th, and 10th. For me, this is what it ultimately comes down to.

Either way, if snake were to happen, the order should not be determined in advanced like last season. It caused issue last year on the Yahoo! site and involved manually inputting teams, if I remember correctly. With that said, you would get no additional time to game plan around your pick position that what Yahoo! allows.

Moreover, if you are concerned about your ability to draft a complete team, there are plenty of sites that allow you to practice, the same as snake. Beyond that, there is plenty of literature on Auction league strategies and plenty of fantasy experts publish pre-season player values based on the traditional $200.

3. Don't be a get sentimental and gay discussing ruining a good thing with friends. This is fantasy. Man up.
Back to top Go down
BlackMansWish

BlackMansWish

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Snake League.
Back to top Go down
BlackMansWish

BlackMansWish

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:06 pm

Actually I don't care either way. Keeper league sounds like a pain in the ass.

keep me posted on what you decide.
Back to top Go down
IB29

IB29

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:08 pm

i really dont care...just want to get 10 guys committed...
Back to top Go down
BlackMansWish

BlackMansWish

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:09 pm

I would really like to have football next year. Period.
Back to top Go down
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:10 pm

A keeper league is a whole different animal that should probably get its own thread to discuss the idea.

There are a quite a handful of variations of keeper rules that we would have to hash out- Most of which would give rise after the Snake v. Auction discussion is settled.
Back to top Go down
KyleJones

KyleJones

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyWed May 11, 2011 1:24 pm

I still stand by auction. This has nothing to do with Bill Simmons or any sports writer. I was just showing that most reputable fantasy writers prefer auction. Do me a favor and google 'snake over auction draft' or give me one good reason why snake is better than auction.

Snake is for beginners and lazy fantasy football players when it comes to draft time. We're coming up on year 3 with this group of guys. Man up, and let's make this league more fun.

Keeper would take this a step further and add a ton more strategy to our teams, but if we're not ready for auction, we're not ready for keeper either. It's incredibly unfair if the guys drafting 6-10 don't have a chance at keeping a top 5 guy for the next 2-3 years or whatever the keeper rules would be. That's why it's gotta be auction.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/kylejonesy
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League EmptyWed May 11, 2011 1:35 pm

Agreed. To be in favor of Keeper, but not auction
Seems counter-intuitive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Auction Keeper League   Auction Keeper League Empty

Back to top Go down

Auction Keeper League
Page 1 of 1