The Soapbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Soapbox

A place to keep in touch, organize fantasy, debate sports, and discuss all things awesome.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft

Go down 
+3
IB29
Garner
KyleJones
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

2011 Fantasy Football League Snake or Auction Draft
Auction
VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft Vote_lcap75%VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft Vote_rcap
 75% [ 3 ]
Snake
VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft Vote_lcap25%VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft Vote_rcap
 25% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
KyleJones

KyleJones

VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft Empty
PostSubject: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyWed May 11, 2011 10:48 pm

Give your reason for one or the other.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/kylejonesy
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyWed May 11, 2011 11:10 pm

Garner wrote:
gingerraider wrote:
Because I like Snake. I like knowing if I'm going to have the first pick or the last pick, I like game planning around that. I have more control and a better chance of drafting a good team because I understand more clearly how to draft in a Snake league than I do in an auction league.

I want whats best for all 10 members of the league not just what Brian and Kyle and bill Simmons like.

if all 6-7 original members want auction, I'm game! I dont want to ruin a good thing with friends I don't get to see anymore. Change causes people to fall off the wagon, and I dont want that.

I like the snake-keeper idea alot though.

A few things here:

1. We might as well drop the Keeper idea until we have 10 guys, that we know will play each season until they die. Its the only way out. Off the top of my head I feel like we are a couple guys short. As it is, we have not yet had the same 10 guys two seasons in a row.

2. Simply put, snake is a busted system. That is a fact that has nothing to do with Simmons either, Schultze.

Aside from the fact that a snake draft is a less involved system (make a pick, sit around for ten picks, make a pick, repeat)- It requires far less strategy, is less competitive, and rewards luck above all else.

If you draw the 10th pick in snake, it is impossible to get a top 5 player (that is being conservative for the sake of conversation, you probably aren't getting a top 8 ). On the other hand, auction allows you to build your team as you wish. You want the consensus first overall pick? Great, go pay for him and he is yours. It is for this reason snake gives the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pick a gross advantage over the 8th, 9th, and 10th. For me, this is what it ultimately comes down to.

Either way, if snake were to happen, the order should not be determined in advanced like last season. It caused issue last year on the Yahoo! site and involved manually inputting teams, if I remember correctly. With that said, you would get no additional time to game plan around your pick position that what Yahoo! allows.

Moreover, if you are concerned about your ability to draft a complete team, there are plenty of sites that allow you to practice, the same as snake. Beyond that, there is plenty of literature on Auction league strategies and plenty of fantasy experts publish pre-season player values based on the traditional $200.

3. Don't be a get sentimental and gay discussing ruining a good thing with friends. This is fantasy. Man up.
Back to top Go down
https://thesoapbox.forumotion.com
IB29

IB29

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyWed May 11, 2011 11:12 pm

Alright BGAR...you have convinced me....auction...lets roll with the big boys...
Back to top Go down
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyWed May 11, 2011 11:33 pm

VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft Joker_clap

Glad to hear it!
Back to top Go down
KGeddes

KGeddes

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyThu May 12, 2011 11:25 am

I feel like snake takes more skill whether your picking from the one or ten spot. There is going to be some retard who lays down most their money on on player in an auction draft and end up with a shit team cuz the had no money to spend on everything else. That will just take the fun outta playing that team. I mean last year in our snake league I picked 8 or 9 and won it. Just saying snake to me takes a little more skill.
Back to top Go down
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyThu May 12, 2011 3:39 pm

KGeddes wrote:
I feel like snake takes more skill whether your picking from the one or ten spot. There is going to be some retard who lays down most their money on on player in an auction draft and end up with a shit team cuz the had no money to spend on everything else. That will just take the fun outta playing that team. I mean last year in our snake league I picked 8 or 9 and won it. Just saying snake to me takes a little more skill.

What you just posted made the argument for auction and why it requires more skill.

You have essentially stated that snake is better because it protects retards from themselves.

Back to top Go down
gingerraider

gingerraider

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyThu May 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Garner wrote:
KGeddes wrote:

What you just posted made the argument for auction and why it requires more skill.

You have essentially stated that snake is better because it protects retards from themselves.

some of us are retards.

VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft 198562_1683605699389_1515000055_31505047_5886848_n
VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft N16738442_36551956_8123
VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft N8374771_34779447_9866
Back to top Go down
Http://www.twitter.com/justinschultze
gingerraider

gingerraider

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyThu May 12, 2011 5:59 pm

Im in with auction. Lets bump up the pot though, this will eliminate those that wont get prepared.

$100 each.

2nd gets money back winner gets all.

Back to top Go down
IB29

IB29

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyThu May 12, 2011 6:51 pm

After doing some reading/ listening to you guys on here I have come to the conclusion that auction requires more skill and talent. I say this is the way to go and 100 sounds good.

Few Questions:

Will there be a fee per transaction? I personally think there should be.

How many players can be kept each season?

Do we want to stay with yahoo! or move over to ESPN? I personally like ESPN better.
Back to top Go down
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyThu May 12, 2011 6:54 pm

gingerraider wrote:
Im in with auction. Lets bump up the pot though, this will eliminate those that wont get prepared.

$100 each.

2nd gets money back winner gets all.

Boy did you come ariund in a big way.
Back to top Go down
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyThu May 12, 2011 7:02 pm

IB29 wrote:
After doing some reading/ listening to you guys on here I have come to the conclusion that auction requires more skill and talent. I say this is the way to go and 100 sounds good.

Few Questions:

Do we want to stay with yahoo! or move over to ESPN? I personally like ESPN better.

There will be a lot of things that need to be answered. I suppose this as a good of a start as any-

Transaction fee? Never considered it, what is the point? As far as I'm concerned, the price you pay for the player is your transaction fee.

I personally prefer Yahoo to ESPN. I find the format more appealing, there have been no real issues with it, and it has been keeping track of our past years.

Who are our ten guys? We need to have people get back onto the page, check in, and discuss all of this.

As to the how many players do we keep- I think the better question is to what expense. If you pay $72 to buy Vick this year, does it cost you $72 next year?

Back to top Go down
gingerraider

gingerraider

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyThu May 12, 2011 8:53 pm

I honestly have no clue what is normal protocol with keeper leagues.

ESPN for sure. The iPhone app is WAY better!

Okay so league members

1) Justin
2) Ian
3) Kyle
4) Brian
5) Bryce
6) Geddes
7) Trey
Cool Cheese
9) Vince

So for the last guy..
10) Trent Staggers/Austin Jennings/Vic/Heather(this would be just like "the league")
Back to top Go down
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyThu May 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Heather has no interest, i assure you.
Back to top Go down
KGeddes

KGeddes

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyThu May 12, 2011 10:13 pm

well i want to play with you guys so auction it is.

But I like Kyle and Ian prefer ESPN.
Back to top Go down
IB29

IB29

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyThu May 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Garner wrote:
IB29 wrote:

Few Questions:

There will be a lot of things that need to be answered. I suppose this as a good of a start as any-

Transaction fee? Never considered it, what is the point? As far as I'm concerned, the price you pay for the player is your transaction fee.

I personally prefer Yahoo to ESPN. I find the format more appealing, there have been no real issues with it, and it has been keeping track of our past years.

Who are our ten guys? We need to have people get back onto the page, check in, and discuss all of this.

As to the how many players do we keep- I think the better question is to what expense. If you pay $72 to buy Vick this year, does it cost you $72 next year?

Transaction Fees would add to the pot throughout the season due to trades and free agent pickups. We don't have to do this but I was just throwing it out there. I personally think ESPN is more appealing as well as the app is far superior than yahoos. As for the 10th guy, if none of the guys you listed are willing to play my buddy Cody will play.

As for keepers, we need to figure out how many players/positions you can keep each year. Also, should there be a limit to how many seasons you can keep a player before having to release him or trade him?
Back to top Go down
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyFri May 13, 2011 9:38 am

Ok I follow now Ian. We did this last year in the Sandbox auction league- you get $200 to draft your team. After the draft you get a separate $50 for free agents. It wold as a
Silent auction, so if you think everyone wants the same guy, you've
Gotta out bid the league.

A very fun element.
Back to top Go down
BlackMansWish

BlackMansWish

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyFri May 13, 2011 10:25 am

I say we use Jennings as our 10th. Trent's not into it, never has been. Brian said Heather had no interest. Jennings love Fantasy.

gingerraider wrote:
I honestly have no clue what is normal protocol with keeper leagues.

ESPN for sure. The iPhone app is WAY better!

Okay so league members

1) Justin
2) Ian
3) Kyle
4) Brian
5) Bryce
6) Geddes
7) Trey
Cool Cheese
9) Vince

So for the last guy..
10) Trent Staggers/Austin Jennings/Vic/Heather(this would be just like "the league")
Back to top Go down
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyFri May 13, 2011 11:32 am

If Austin is really into fantasy, he has my vote. Nothing against Cody, but it is more fun playing in a league where everyone knows eachother. I believe everyone knows Austin and I don't see him being quiet through the season.
Back to top Go down
gingerraider

gingerraider

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyFri May 13, 2011 1:19 pm

Garner wrote:
If Austin is really into fantasy, he has my vote. Nothing against Cody, but it is more fun playing in a league where everyone knows eachother. I believe everyone knows Austin and I don't see him being quiet through the season.

This exactly. Lets get Jennings on board.
Back to top Go down
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptyFri May 13, 2011 1:32 pm

I believe my fat thumbs just closed the poll while trying to
Get
To
The second page of comments. Damn iPhone.

For those who haven't voted, I'll look to reopen it later when I'm back at home.
Back to top Go down
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 10:57 pm

Thoughts on fantasy with the current lockout situation?

Great gif schultze.
Back to top Go down
gingerraider

gingerraider

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 10:56 am

Garner wrote:
Thoughts on fantasy with the current lockout situation?

College? Pick players from current BCS conferences?
Back to top Go down
Garner
Admin
Garner

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 11:00 am

and score it ourselves? Oh, hell no.
Back to top Go down
gingerraider

gingerraider

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 11:08 am

Garner wrote:
and score it ourselves? Oh, hell no.

Haha then were just SOL if we dont have a season.
Back to top Go down
KyleJones

KyleJones

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 11:21 am

I guess just wait it out to Week 7 when we can start playing. Whoever wins this year will feel like the 1999 Spurs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/kylejonesy
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft   VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft Empty

Back to top Go down

VOTE: Snake or Auction FFB Draft
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next